Sunday, October 11, 2009

I am not a flower snob.

I am not picky about the specific type of flower I want for my wedding.

Ok, maybe not this flower. Har har.
Source

When Mr. SB and I first started cooking & grocery shopping together (from our separate dorm rooms in grad school), whenever it was "his week" to pay, he'd get a bouquet or two of flowers for me from Safeway. And they were beautiful in their sincerity and simplicity.

I loved loved loved the movie "You've Got Mail" back in the day. (Side note: I brought a picture of tiny pixie Meg Ryan to my hairdresser with the request to look like her. I have thick, frizzy, dark hair and a round face. NOooooooooot a good match.) Anyway, her comment in YGM that "Daisies are the happiest flowers" has always been a little comment that made me smile. If we can work daisies (or gerbera daisies) into my day, all the better.

Source

My reception site is gorgeous as is. One of the first things our site director said was, "Don't spend a ton on flowers. The room doesn't need it." I will not be importing anything from any country in the Southern Hemisphere. I will shed no tears if peonies are (most likely) out of my budget. I like white wedding flowers with texture and a certain "look," but how we get to that look... I'm going to trust my florist.

What am I hoping to get with my modest budget? Happy flowers. Simple flowers. Flowers that can go from cones into centerpiece vases naturally. Flowers that reflect the clean, simple, natural environment that we are in.

My very mostest favoritest bouquet I've seen. From the Better Homes and Garden's Wedding Flowers magazine, scanned.
(I couldn't find an electronic version.)

A whole pile of peonies. Again, from BHG.


Mrs. Penguin, from Weddingbee. Mr. SB actually put in a vote for orchids, so I'll try and incorporate at least some into the day.

Centerpiece from TheKnot.


Tulips are also in season and there are some beautiful examples of centerpieces using them. (This one might be a tad too structured, but close to the right idea.)
Source

I haven't yet met with a florist, but that's up next on the ol' to-do list. I'm only moderately dreading it, because I have no doubt I'll stand firm if they try to press too much on me.

Did you bring specific ideas or a more general feel to your first meeting with your florist?

No comments:

Post a Comment