Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bebidas

For some reason, Mr. SB and I started referring to any alcoholic beverage as a "bebida." Why? Because we're cool like that. Anywho, alcohol is a large part of most wedding catering budgets and ours is no different.

We are getting married at a winery, and as such, will be purchasing their wine. They don't have a hard liquor license, so beer, wine, and sparkling wine (from neighboring vineyards) will be our options. (*I'm the teensiest bit bummed that we won't be creating a signature cocktail, but maybe we'll come up with one for the rehearsal dinner.) We're fortunate that they make really very yummy chardonneys, pinot noirs, and syrahs. Mr. SB's favorite wine is pinot, so that's easy.

Engagement weekend wine tasting at Duckhorn Winery, Napa.

I, however, am a different story. I don't like chards. I wish I did, but I don't. And that's the only white wine they offer. I DO like reds, but 0% trust myself to drink red wine on my wedding day in a very expensive white dress. And I don't want purple teeth in my pictures. I like sparkling wines, but they require renting extra glassware and purchasing extra bottles (we have a wine minimum from our site, exclusive of the bubbly). And I know it's fairly out of fashion to have a "champagne toast" at weddings, because of the extra cost, and how each person gets one little glass like-it-or-not, and the not-that-special-ness of toasting with it.

But remembering that I'm planning a day for me, not the rest of the wedding world... I would like the option to drink an alcoholic beverage that I enjoy, worry-free on my wedding day. Sparkling wine fits the bill. And realistically, the total with rentals and wine will be *maybe* $350 to add sparkling wine, and we might even be able to get away with less regular wine so the relative cost will be less. And I won't force anyone to drink it. I think "Please raise your glass (with what ever you have in it) to toast the bride and groom" is a perfectly acceptable sentiment.

Color co-ordinated wine varieties with my co-residents.
Ok, fine, we're dorks and switched glasses for this picture.

So, that's that. Red, white, and bubbly offered throughout the night. It's also a perfect way to showcase the variety of wines of Sonoma Valley to our out of town guests AND have enough variety for all.

Are you having sparkling wine? At all, throughout the night, or just as a toast?

1 comment:

  1. I have been to many a wedding where you were able to drink whatever. I recently went to a wedding where sparkling was offered and encouraged especially for the toast. The fun effect of bubbly - the rush of the liquor, in addition to it being "special" because it's for the toast made it really... pretty. It also means that those men wanting to drink wine or other pretty drink, but are suffering from the machismo factor will be able to grab something sparkly without feeling emasculated, because you have picked out something special. And EVERY girl who has spilled on her dress will be thanking you for picking something which won't leave an evil obvious stain... at least in my opinion. I am all in when it comes to pushing the bubbly for the toasts.

    ReplyDelete