Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Confessions of a Bad RSVPer

Until 3 months ago, I had little appreciation for the mountainous volume of work that planning a wedding involves. One would assume, however, that I had possessed basic social etiquette skills. The following examples indicate that may not have been the case.



During grad school I was (kind of randomly) invited to the wedding of a high school friend of mine who I had lost touch with. I got the invite, realized I couldn't make it, didn't want to look rude by sending an RSVP "too soon" (what?!) so I NEVER REPLIED. Nice. Classy. Emily Post would be so disappointed. Click the link above to see proper behavior for RSVPing.

Next, my best friend was getting married in CA while I lived in Boston. I was super upset about being unable to attend (which, yes, I had informed her of). The week before the wedding, I got the incredibly bright idea that I would find a last minute ticket, drop my Boston obligations, and fly out to surprise her! (What?!) Thankfully, that plan didn't pan out, but how um... "surprised" would you be on your wedding day to have a random extra with no seat, meal, name card... etc. Eek.

So, anyway, I think karma is getting a kick out of these past "errors in judgment." We are inviting 81 people and want 65 to come. Like exactly 65. And no more. Really, no more. Seeing as family takes up the majority of the A list, there are some pretty darn good friends on the B+ list that we'd really like to invite (and not go over 65, if you hadn't heard). But sending STDs/invites to the B+'s is dependent on a firm "No" from the fam.

I've been asking my parents to ask their sibs if they'll be able to make it to our big day... pretty much since the day we got engaged. I put out the requests again since we sent out the STDs... but so far no solid replies. Alas.

All I can do is wait I suppose. Hopefully the B+ friends won't be too upset/realize they're not A list, but who knows. I know it'll work out, but I'm still anxious.

How tight is your guest list? Did you try to force people to pre-RSVP?

No comments:

Post a Comment