Monday, October 26, 2009

A little down

Sometimes I tell myself I have to stop reading wedding blogs. It's an endless sea of so many incredible, creative, talented women out there who share their day & planning with others. The ladies at weddingbee, and offbeatbride, and stylemepretty... wowsers, you make a girl's eyes glaze over with all the fun stuff you've got going on.

But sometimes, instead of being inspired, I start thinking that I'm going to have the lamest, plainest, boringest wedding ever thrown. My budget seems unreasonable, my ideas uncreative, and then it's a downhill spiral.... into whiny bride mode.

Seeing as the dumps are no place to live, I have to remind myself of what "my" day should actually be like. For starters, I'm not really that "offbeat." I shop at Banana Republic & Express. I listen to whatever is on the radio, probably something top 40. I drive a Civic (it's a Hybrid though!). To have a totally vintage, or black tie, or Alice in Wonderland themed wedding would look fake and feel wrong. I'm also not really that into style/fashion/details. I mean, of COURSE I want things to look good and I have a certain vision for what I think that is (yay nature!), but... I can't say I've ever been that observant of the details at weddings we've attended. (Sorry ladies! I should have commented on how cute your bathroom baskets were!)

And while I LOVE the idea of DIYing my little heart out for this wedding, I would hate to spend even one minute being embarrassed of how it turned out. I've been balancing what I think I CAN do (favors, paper goods, even some pretty elaborate ones... stay tuned) with what I canNOT (ipod DJ, my bouquet).

Anyway, writing down all this whiny-ness has made me feel a little better and a little silly. I want to spend my life with Mr. SB and I want my friends and family to have a fun day sharing in that excitement with me. Sure, maybe it would be a little "better" or "easier" if I had more money to spend, but that's not who I am either (ok, yes, Mr. SB, I'm a little on the stingy-with-money side of the spectrum). I'm going to do the best with what I've got. Which is how I've gotten through life so far.

Here's to years and years of beautiful days in wine country, Mr. SB.

I can't wait to have our loved ones celebrate our day with us. And I'll try my hardest not to let any amount of beautiful inspiration boards get me down, because I know I'm planning a great day that reflects who we are as a couple. March, here we come!

Did you ever doubt your wedding planning skills/vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment