Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mu-zak

I've been avoiding planning the wedding entertainment because it totally and completely overwhelms me. However, at less than six months out, it's time to get serious about all the aspects of the day. All of them. Even the ones I don't like.

We considered an ipod reception, but didn't want to burden any of our guests with MC duty. So, I contacted AMS music. They were very highly recommended by our site director and most online reviews pointed their way too. Which Debbie Downer assumed meant it was out of our price range.

However, remembering that "I'm sorry, your prices are out of our budget" are not the most horrible words to utter, I gave them a call.

My wishes:
  • Speakers/Mic for the ceremony
  • Live music (strings?) for the ceremony & cocktail hour
  • Speakers/Mic for toasts
  • DJ/MC for reception & dancing
The manager explained some helpful guidelines. With our guest size (~65 people), some of those items are over kill.

Some guidelines I learned:
  • 1 live musician per 60-80 guests
  • No Speakers/amplification until over 75 guests

First of all, they seem wonderful to work with (as the online reviewers had stated). Then, he mentioned that he had an "Economy Package" which was EXACTLY what we were looking for... and $100 under our (fairly modest) budget. The only hiccup was that the live music in the package was a solo classical guitarist. I admit, my heart was leaning towards a violin/strings ensemble, but I headed to the wonderful world of YouTube for some examples.

And they were beautiful...

(Ok, fiiiiine, it's true, I teared up. Seriously, there's going to need to be a big ol' supply of Kleenex on my big day.)





I am so glad I didn't immediately shut down his idea and insist on strings. This type of music will fit beautifully with the overall (casual, classic) vibe of our day. We get to create music lists (for both the guitar and the DJ) and review them with the musicians before hand. I'm sure that'll be a discussion for another day. :)

What slightly "out of the box" ideas ended up just right?

No comments:

Post a Comment