Sunday, September 27, 2009

I can totally do this...

I am planning on wearing my hair half up and I love the hair fascinators I've seen on various wedding sites. However, I tend to like the expensive ones and there's normally something that I would tweak about a given design.

From Etsy.

I was inspired by Weddingbee's Mrs. Pineapple, to give DIYing my hair piece a shot. It didn't look too hard... and I'd be able to add/subtract components to my little hearts content.

I bought some flowers at Michaels.


Then I took the big one apart. The little blooms had the pearls glued to the middle and just plucked right off the stems. I was actually disappointed that there weren't some "normal" shaped smaller flower petals.

Elliot came to help his mom. And chase feathers.

My most successful attempts, bottom left being my fave. I'm actually not that happy with them. The good news is that this didn't take too much time or cost too much money (~$4 for the flowers & $2 for more feathers than I could possibly use). I'll try again with these materials, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one, because I don't want to spend more on additional materials if it's just going to look home-made-craft-y.

Tired out from helping mom.

We'll see if it looks better in a few days when I revisit it. Do failed DIY projects get you down?

3 comments:

  1. I'm helping with my friend Rachels wedding. It's in a week. She made her invitations herself and had stamps made at a custom shop... some of the stamps came out too blurry, she spent loads on stamps she ended up ignoring.

    She made her own confetti because store bought wasnt the same colours as her invitations.

    I made her flowers out of fabric.

    Your project may not be lost- Maybe try watering down some white childrens glue and after wetting the petals use a hair clip to hold the petals into a bud shape. then when the glue dries the petals will have some form, something like hairsprayed hair. then mold them and whatnot, glugun some, and see if you like! Or just buy one, and tell everyone you made it yourself, no one will know!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suggestion of using diluted glue is a really good one! I was trying to think of a way to shape some of those flimsy flower pieces into something more usable. I'll definitely give that a shot!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you look for feedback on your blog! you always finish with a question. just helping my buddy plan her wedding, and seeing your planning and skimming your posts, i am reminded how much she has done and decided. im so glad i ran off to hawaii. but i am enjoying! keep writing!

    ReplyDelete