Sunday, September 20, 2009

To see or not to see

In real life, Mr. SB is a very decisive person with strong opinions. I love that about him; he can get things done quickly and is polite but effective. It also makes him great at his job. However, with regards to all things wedding he really and truly doesn't care about basically any specific aspect of the ceremony, planning, details, etc. Except one thing. My dress.

I mentioned before that Mr. SB had a strong (to put it mildly) interest in what my dress looked like. We sat together and went through bridal magazines and he was "his usual self", telling me exactly what he thought of every dress. I was kind of sad, because certain things were axed immediately (lace, straps) and I was feeling a little restricted. But as I mentioned, I took my rules, my MOH, and headed to the bridal shop, where I found (and impulse bought) a beautiful gown.Over the next few weeks, I stressed over my decision, not because I didn't love my dress, but because I was afraid he would be disappointed. So I finally told Mr. SB how much it was worrying me. I even asked him if he wanted to see the dress, but he declined. He explained it in the following way. The only thing he remembers about any wedding he's ever attended is whether or not the bride looked good (eek! no pressure!) and in his mind, many wedding dresses are inherently unflattering. Then he let me know that if I was happy with my choice, he was certain he would be too because he trusts my style and fashion sense (on a superficial note) and knows I will be beautiful (on a sentimental note). I was relieved to hear both comments, because I know he was being honest. And let myself feel better.

Cut forward 6 weeks. I bought a new bridal magazine for a plane trip and sitting next to Mr. SB (he was still peeking at the dresses) I see a FULL PAGE ad of my dress! I tried to keep my eyes from bugging, but I told him (several pages later) that my dress was in the magazine. He then flipped through and would pause on certain pages, including "my" page!

"Do you want to know which it was?"
"Did I pause on it?"
"Yes."
"Well, that's a good sign. So, no."

I feel like that was the final comment on the subject. I do feel silly for over-reacting because I know he (like all grooms) would have loved my look on the big day, but I'm glad we talked it over (yay for open communication in relationships!) and can relax about it.

Side comment (should maybe even be a separate post, but w/e): I know some people feel the look of the dress is totally, completely special and the Mr. should know nothing about it... the thought of seeing it is beyond shocking (shocking, I tell you!!). Some brides-to-be describe panic attacks and tears over the thought of him having seen it. The best advice I heard was: it's what ever works for you. If you value his opinion in that way, take him shopping with you! If the idea of keeping it under lock and key is more your style, then store it at a friends house and delete all digital pics. Mr. SB knowing a little something works for us. And that's what matters.

Did you stress about anything that seems silly after it's resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment