Thursday, September 10, 2009

E day story

I wanted to share my favorite story first! (For future reference, if I'm Springtime Bride, he'll be Mr. SB.)

During our three years in San Francisco, we *loved* our weekend get-aways to wine country and took them at any and every opportunity. One particularly busy month, Mr. SB suggested we take a "spur of the moment" trip to Calistoga (northern Napa Valley) for the weekend. Though I didn't think we had time, I agreed a little vacation would be nice.


For context,
we'd been together 6 years at this point and had had conversations about the future, but he'd convinced me that although he was committed to our relationship, the time wasn't yet to get married. I was sad, but accepting and basically all "this could be it!" thoughts had left my mind.

That front tower is where it happened!

So after a nice, typical day wine tasting, Mr. SB told me he had arranged a tour and tasting at the winery Castello di Amarosa. This gorgeous winery is recreated, to the smallest detail, to look like an Italian castle. During the tasting at the end, a woman came and announced that he had won a raffle for a free tour of the off limits areas. I was so stoked, she said "Oh, I guess you can come too, you look pretty excited!" (He knew how much I LOVE contests and prizes... this was the PERFECT set up.)

When we went on our tour, she said, "There's a turret up there, but I'm afraid of heights, you go ahead." I wasn't suspicious at all and scampered up to find a stunning view of Napa Valley and a table set for two with wine and cheese. I *finally* got a clue and turned around to see a broadly smiling Mr. SB climbing the stairs. Where he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.

We then spent the rest of the beautiful, relaxing weekend in Calistoga proclaiming (Ok, I did the proclaiming), "We just got engaged!!" and receiving free desserts and wine tasting because of it!

Thank you for an exactly-right-for-us engagement story, Mr. SB. :)

Were you completely shocked, as I was, by your proposal?

No comments:

Post a Comment