Saturday, September 19, 2009

A fun little project

One little thing I came across in my wedding planning was the idea of a groom's cake. They are SO. FUN. And since Mr. SB and I don't really throw parties (even birthday) for ourselves, I can't think of another time that we would ever get a ridiculously elaborate sculpted cake. I think it would be a perfect dessert at our rehearsal dinner. And let's be honest Ace of Cakes & Cake Boss are great shows.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time deciding on what the design might be....

There are a million sports options: stadiums, footballs, logos, etc. Mr. SB is into sports, but not a die hard. Lakers, maybe, but my gut feeling is that he wouldn't *love* a sports cake.

Getting closer... we live in wine country and like to experiment with new beers and cocktails, but there's no "one" classic drink that would be appropriate for Mr. SB.

Eek! Seriously??

SL, Guinness, & gun from Source.

Source
Ok, he DOES like poker, but again... not all *that* much.

Source
We ARE gamers.. well one specifically, but it's a PC game, so no cool console to recreate and we're both fairly bashful about admitting it. So parading our dorkiness in front of all our friends and family *probably* wouldn't go over that well.

Source
Ok, one thing Mr. SB DOES love is meat. This disgusting "cake" above is actually meatloaf & mashed potato "frosting"!!! I would never, ever, ever allow that near my wedding, but a "meat" cake might be cute... a huge steak perhaps? He had done some of those "eat a huge steak, get your picture on the wall" contests... Hmm... And one of our faves is red velvet cake (meat?) with cream cheese (fat? *gross* but color appropriate frosting)... Double hmm..

Thanks to the wonderful world of Google, I came across a whole blog posting on meat cakes?!
Ok, I'm pretty excited about this idea!! Now to find a baker in the area...

Are you doing a groom's cake? What else could I consider??

No comments:

Post a Comment