Friday, September 11, 2009

Who gets married in March?

One of the first questions when planning a wedding is obviously WHEN the big day will happen. Since we wanted to get married in Wine Country ($$$), off season (Nov.-Mar.) immediately looked very appealing. We attended an off-season Sunday lunch wedding in Napa last year which was beautiful and I was using that as my template for a wine country wedding with charm on a budget. And our dating anniversary is mid-March, so it all made sense. The main problems with this time of year are a lack of greenery on the grape vines & a possibility of rain. I'll take my chances... *crosses fingers*
With the date decided, I spent H-O-U-R-S online and built an impressive Excel spreadsheet that listed every wedding site (mostly wineries) with a website and the corresponding costs, restrictions, location, contacts, and onnnn and onnnn.... I was amazed at how much pricing varied at baseline and off season rates. Some sites gave significant discounts for being off season. Others did not. At all.

Ultimately, we visited four locations: a bargain basement golf course, two resorts, and one winery. The golf course visit was pretty much a disaster, it definitely didn't meet the "charm" requirement. When we visited the resorts, we were still thinking that we would have a Sunday afternoon wedding. There was a clear front runner that we were very happy with in Sonoma, one that we could never have afforded during the high season or Saturday evening for that matter. As I debating sending in our deposit, Mr. SB convinced me I should contact one more winery (most had been way out of our budget), the one that was my dream location. I had avoided doing so, because I didn't want to be disappointed... but I sent the email and awaited the reply...

Did you consider "alternative" days or times for your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment