Friday, September 18, 2009

A busy life

I was in school a long, long time. When I *finally* graduated this past June, I was fortunate that (in this crummy economy) I found an awesome business to purchase. However, running a new business is an overwhelming and stress-laden adventure, especially as a solo owner.


I dated Mr. SB for a long, long time. I am SO EXCITED to be getting married to him, but planning a wedding (especially all by yourself in a brand new place) can be overwhelming and stress-laden as well. My to-do list these days is pretty much endless.


I know that all brides have stresses around them (kids, parents, unemployment, military deployment), but my combination of new homeowner, new business owner, new town, no one to help with <-- new-ness has left me boggled. I've read many blogs that address this topic, and some of their "how to feel better" lists just add items to my to do list!!

What's a girl to actually do? Here's my list. Maybe you'll relate to it.

1. Let's start with a cliche: Count your blessings. I am at such an exciting time in my life. Each time I find myself "wishing it away" I take a deep breath and remember that. Seriously, you'll feel better.

2. Remember that timing rules are really just suggestions. The first thing I saw when I logged on to theknot.com was a banner warning me how many things I was already behind on. Wow, awesome. There is always a way to make it (whatever IT is) happen. Sure, it may cost a little more money or not be *perfect*, but don't spend tears, sleepless nights, relationships, or stress headaches on worrying about not meeting these rules.

3. On a similar vein, you don't HAVE to do anything. Sure, there are lots of brides out there who get frustrated and just say "Ugh, I'm going to elope!" Well, ok, you can do that, but on a smaller scale... don't have favors, or cake toppers, or a seated meal, or hard alcohol, or a rehearsal dinner, or 350 people, or pocketfold invitations. Seriously. Only fellow brides even know half this stuff exists and most will totally understand if you leave some of it out (they probably wish they would have too!).

4. Be reasonable with yourself. I did a ton of online searching for photographers and sent many, many emails because I could do that at night watching tv. In person, I only met with two. Am I certain that I got the absolute best possible deal & match? No. But do I feel confident that my choice will work out well? Yes. Caveat: if there is something you feel very passionate about, by all means, go nuts in your planning. But you can't be nuts about it all.

5. Take care of yourself. Sleep, eat well, don't neglect work or pets or your honey. If you gain 15 lbs or lose your job or develop migraines or start fighting with your future life partner, life won't get any easier and your wedding won't be planned any "better". There are lots of healthy ways to get out stress. I like exercise and a nightly glass of wine. Find what works for you.

Notice ask for help isn't one of them. I don't really have anyone to ask for help. You may not either. So take your time, make that to-do list with specific tasks, and keep taking baby steps to check them off. You'll get there. And soon you'll be married to your best friend.

Now running a business... I don't have a checklist for that yet (but I do have many sleepless nights...)!

How do you keep your sanity with all that goes on around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment