Saturday, November 21, 2009

Two ceremony bride

So after MUCH deliberation (and I can't believe I'm saying this), I'm going to be a two ceremony bride. And as much as I am overwhelmed by planning two ceremonies, I'm relieved to have reached a decision and feel pretty good about it.

Backing up.....

Getting married in a Catholic Church is important to my family. Mr. SB isn't Catholic, and while I would like the blessing of the Church on our union, our vision (outdoor wedding, writing our own vows) isn't consistent with a Catholic ceremony.


Source 1 & 2.

The priest at the local parish was very nice. Whereas all guides online say you MUST contact them 6 months in advance, he wasn't stressed about the time line at all (so long as neither of us had been married before). He's not making us go to a couples' weekend or anything.. in fact the whole procedure seems painless.

He mentioned that there is a lot of "wrong" information regarding Catholic weddings. Per him, they can be said "off site," but not outdoors. I was stumbling through a description of our day when he realized I was trying to ask for something besides a church wedding.

"Miss SB, let me ask you this. What is your dream for the day?"
"A priest will come to Nicholson Ranch to say the wedding."
He laughs (literally, laughs) and says "What is your second dream?"

Hear that? That was my bubble bursting...
Source

Well, I suppose the second dream is a ceremony at ~2p for anyone who wants to come and then the "real" wedding at 5p as planned. So we're getting married twice. On the same day. There is basically no point to the second one, except it's more "us." It's for "us." The whole first one is for me and my family, not at all for Mr. SB who is a little irritated by it, I think. He even suggested canceling the second ceremony as it'll be a big farce. :(

I don't think it's ideal. I also don't think it's a farce. But it IS more money and more work.

Time to get started.

Is two ceremonies overkill? Would you cancel the second one?

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely would not cancel the second ceremony. Absolutely not. Especially if that's the one that is actually "for you guys".

    ReplyDelete