Friday, November 13, 2009

The real stuff

Who's gonna say the wedding? A big question I've been avoiding.

Mr. SB is not religious. My family is very Catholic. We don't really want to get married in a church, and logistically for our guests, it would be easier to have ceremony/reception in one place. But Catholics don't get married outside. And you've gotta plan for 6 months ahead of time. Today was our 4 month pre-anniversary. Cool.

About a month ago, I called our local Catholic church (where I've been going on Sundays) and the pastor was on vacation for a month. The mean lady on the phone told me that you can't get married when I had requested because it was Lent (the season before Easter, a time of reflection, not celebration) and that I needed to "rethink my date." Well, I finally got the courage to call the priest today and he was really quite kind and told me that our timeline was ok and we can get everything done by March. Although he wasn't having anything but a wedding in the church. On a Saturday afternoon. With no flowers, because it's Lent. Fine, whatever.

So what's a girl to do? We are pretty set on the idea of an outdoor wedding at the winery and a reception immediately following. We could certainly have a smaller ceremony in the afternoon prior to the "big wedding" for those who would care about the Catholic aspect. I wouldn't want to wear my dress... but I think it could work and we'd be able to incorporate some of my family members in a nice way.

This sensitive subject is still very much a work in progress. We're meeting with the priest next week. I'll let ya know how it goes.

How big/small of an adventure was finding the person to officiate your ceremony? Would you consider two ceremonies to keep everyone happy?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Springtime Bride,
    I found your post while surfing and wanted to comment on your decision to be married by a Catholic priest outdoors.

    Check out my blog post 'Catholic Priests and Outdoor Weddings' on Jewishinterfaith.asacredevent.com.

    We plan and perform weddings with Roman Catholic priests all the time in the Napa Sonoma wine country. I'd be happy to talk to you about the possibilities.

    Email: yehudit@asacredevent.com

    Best regards,
    Yehudit

    ReplyDelete