Saturday, November 21, 2009

Some place to put our guests

Fortunately or unfortunately, I live in a tourist destination that prides itself on not being strip mall-ish. Most of the time, I really like it, but trying to find to find accessible, affordable housing for our *many* out of town guests has been a pain!

There are few large or chain hotels in this area and the ones that exist (there's a Best Western in Sonoma) are no bargain (rooms starting at $220 group rate!). Bed & breakfasts & spas are super nice and abundant, but can also be extremely expensive. I've found two reasonable options, one in Sonoma & one in Napa but NEITHER take block reservations. And therefore don't give any sort of group discount either.

This is all I want! A basic room for <$150 (it's low season! And isn't the economy crummy?!).

(*Side story. The place in Sonoma told me "Sure, we can block the rooms, but at the time of booking we charge your credit card for the first night. When they check in, we just charge for additional nights so you have to get reimbursed if you don't want to pay for it." What? How is that a good plan for anyone?? I think I said something really elegant like, "Really? Well, I don't think I want to do that, but I'll call you back if I do...")

Unfortunately, this is where I'm at. There just aren't many hotel options in this area. I've listed the two hotels on our wedding website, and people will have to call and reserve them individually. (*I was planning on having a nice out of town bag for them, hopefully there's not too much running around town to distribute them.) I'll try and help trouble shoot as best I can... but hopefully there's not too much of that!

Do you think the guests will have trouble reserving rooms not "in a block"?

No comments:

Post a Comment