Saturday, December 19, 2009

Platinum is expensive.

I had no idea how much just the metal costs! Mr. SB & I headed back to our favorite jeweler (who sold us the diamond and engagement setting) to order our bands. (Ok, I was pretty excited for this task!)

This was a very speedy errand, since we both knew what we wanted pretty clearly.

I never took glamour shots of my ring, but there she is on my scaly lizard hand (In my defense, I wash my hands ~1000x per day at work!).
Six prong setting, millgrain edges, ~2 1/2 mm thickness with pave diamonds in platinum. And I ordered the band to match.


Source.
Mr. SB initially wanted a ring similar to this, but with millgrain detailing either in the little lines or on the outer edges so that it kind of matched my ring. The jeweler explained how that gets really really dirty, especially at a job like Mr. SB's. So we were a little disappointed, but ok with it. The ring he ordered was very similar to this one, except the outer bands are thinner, so the inner band is thicker.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know anything about (or even care) the metal that the ring is made of. Mr. SB was pretty adamant that platinum is the way to go. So that's the way we went. Our jeweler offered to make his ring at the cost of materials. Which is still a whole lot of money for a plain silver band. However, this is not a point I would consider debating w/ Mr. SB. I expect (!) him to wear it every day for the rest of his life, so I hope he likes it. :)

Any thoughts on jewelry metal? Is the platinum worth it??

No comments:

Post a Comment