Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cere-Ceremony....

That title is set to Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi" if you couldn't tell. :)

Wedding A, the church: Easy. A cut & paste ceremony (literally, from a book you choose options). Mr. SB picked from the reading options I selected, I've got some folks in mind for those readings. Easy Breezy.

On a side note, some of it was kind of fun. The different prayers and blessings, etc. I'm sure most people aren't listening/don't care, but I'm glad what is being said will be the most appropriate for us.

Wedding B, the winery: How does one plan a wedding ceremony? Especially when you're having a stranger officiate... Hmm.. I didn't have any readings in mind (we're doing all the Bible ones at the church, we're not that into poetry, I don't want anything from like a children's book) and aren't planning on doing anything like a unity candle or handfasting. So, I thought it'd be pretty simple. Let's see

First draft:
Welcome
Acknowledgment of parents/guests
Marriage Address - the part where the officiant talks about the meaning and responsibility of marriage
Vows/Rings
"You're married!"
Recessional
Estimated total time: 10 minutes.

Hm. Yep, we're going to have to add to that. I was working on this at ~9pm on Friday night and all of a sudden, I knew where the rest of my evening was going....


Many, many, many drafts later I came up with something a little better. There are some really generous women who post their whole ceremony, word for word, on the internet. And there are general guides, and there are people that do weird things. And there are brides-to-be who spend their Friday nights reading these posts and crying.

Mr. SB finally got off work and I told him what I'd been working on. His response "Doesn't the officiant guy just have a standard thing he does?" .... Well, yes, kind of. But no. I'm not going through the work of a second ceremony to have it be "the standard thing the guy does".

This post is getting long, so I'll put my final draft in the next one.

How long do you think, time-wise, is ideal for a non-secular wedding ceremony?

No comments:

Post a Comment