Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cere-Ceremony... The working draft

By no means finalized, but here's where I'm at.

Still no candles or handfasting or water ceremony. (Mr. SB asked "Can we step on a plate? It looks fun." Well, it's a glass and we're definitely not Jewish... so... ix-nay on that one.)

Probably one reading, but I'm not sure where. I didn't have NEARly as much fun picking readings as I thought I would. What I didn't want:
  • Bible readings - Plenty at the church
  • Hard to understand poetry - No one listens
  • Readings on how hard marriage is - Yeah, we know
  • Readings on how someone else loves their husband/wife - Isn't that what we're doing with the vows?
  • Children's books - Neither of us have a FAVorite one, and Pooh and Dr. Seuss just don't feel appropriate
I did find one I kind of liked, but don't have a place for it. We'll see what Mr. SB thinks and if it can fit in somewhere.

Apache Wedding Prayer

Now you will feel no rain,
For each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold,
For each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness,
For each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies,
But there is one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place,
To enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon the earth.


Draft, in it's current form:
Gathering words
Acknowledgment of parents/guests, welcome to the area & why it was chosen
Remembrances
Reading here?
Marriage Address - I'm discovering that I kind of hate what alot of people say here. So I might go kind of bridezilla and give our guy a pretty strict guideline.
Marriage Statement of Intent Consent - Bride & Groom, do you come here freely? We do. Do you, etc.... We do. The turn to each other and share your vows.
Vows
Rings
Group Blessing - "Each of you are here today bc you bring something special to their lives. You are who they will turn to in the future. As they pledge to be with one another, you pledge to support them. Do you offer your blessing?" (Guests say) We do. -- Except longer and more elegant than that.
Pronouncement - By the power, husband & wife, kiss the bride
Recessional

I think this has bulked it up a little bit. Maybe closer to 20-25 mins? That's what I'm hoping. Anyway, a place to work from.

Are there any special readings or rituals that you especially like to see incorporated into weddings?

No comments:

Post a Comment